Last night we had a GREAT ward activity. It was themed High School Reunion. We spend time learning about others in the ward and what kinds of things they did in high school. We also played Family Feud based on suveys we filled out in church a couple of weeks ago. The survey also had room at the bottom to write a story from high school and some of those were shared last night. Then we had a little dance afterward. It was one of those nights to get a baby sitter and spend time without the kids. And it was a blast. I wish I had pictures to post. Perhaps they will surface in someone else's blog soon.
I, of course, let loose and acted a little like a high school kid as did some others. Most of the music was from the era of most of us on the dance floor, the early to mid '90s. The DJ even held a little dance off to MC Hammer's U Can't Touch This. We had a great time, but lest you think this too juvenile, let me get to my main point.
One of the great things about last night was it was a time to let go a little without being too juvenile. It was a bit like high school, a bit like an institute dance, but with only the good things and not the juvenile things. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the dating game back when it was the time for that thing. I also enjoyed asking different girls to dance and trying to strike up a conversation with someone new. I enjoyed getting stupid on the dance floor. I enjoyed most of the time I spent dating before I got engaged.
But as I was hugging my wife close in a slow dance with only one or two comments about fitting a Book of Mormon between us, we looked in each others eyes and talked as we danced. We were thoroughly enjoying the night. More exciting than striking up a conversation with someone new was dancing with the one I love; not a high school or college crush, but the one I love. As I looked into her face, I thought, "This is so much better than a high shool or institute dance, this is eternity. This is going to be good."
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So glad you had a great time!! There are fun pics on my blog and my FAcebook page.
ReplyDeleteVery sweet! And so true...those high school days were fun times, but these days are what it is all about. And I still can't believe Jenn was a school ditcher!
ReplyDeleteYou guys had some sweet dance moves!! it was a great evening.
ReplyDelete